Tuesday, February 17, 2009

GOT ME HOPING


I saw Antony and the Johnsons perform this past Saturday, the fourteenth.  They played the Pantages theatre.  It was really great, a sophisticated crowd, lots of tweed.  The lighting was strange, it would 'swell' sorta.  For the first half of the set, I'd say it never rose above candlelight, but then as he progressed to their more ballad like selections it would rise and you could actually see him.  It made me laugh a little because it was so mysterious and it seemed a little 'elephant man is coming turn the lights down low...'  They played everything I wanted to hear with the exception of "Hope Mountain."  The Beyonce "Crazy in Love" cover made it.  I was pleased.

He was completely charming and eccentric.  For long periods after some of the songs he would silently stare off in space and stroke the piano.  Oh and he would intermittently snap his fingers really close to his face while singing, like someone coaxing spirits.

I also discovered that Antony Hegarty does some visual work.  Its very much complimentary to his music, and makes me think I could somewhat faithfully record my dreams visually.  Something to work towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment